Chemical formula: C18H36O2
Product: Stearic acid
Appearance: White or light yellow solid
CAS No: 57-11-4
Description of Stearic Acid
Stearic acid, namely octadecanoic acid, has a simple structure: CH3 (CH2)16COOH, which is produced by hydrolysis of oils and fats and is mainly used for the production of stearates. Each gram is dissolved in 21 ml of ethanol, 5 ml of benzene, 2 ml of chloroform or 6 ml of carbon tetrachloride.
Properties of Stearic Acid
|bp||370 °C (1013 hPa)|
|flash point||196 °C|
|autoignition temp.||395 °C|
|mp||68 – 70 °C|
|bulk density||400 – 500 kg/m3|
|LD 50 oral||LD50 Rat > 5000 mg/kg|
Application of Stearic Acid
- In the cosmetics industry, it is an indispensable raw material for the manufacture of general emulsion products and is used for formulating creams, cold creams, foundation creams, shaving creams, hair creams, and skin care lotions.
- In the rubber industry, it is a vulcanization active agent for natural pre-, synthetic and latex, and also used as a softener.
- Used as a plasticizer, stabilizer, and lubricant in the plastics industry.
- Used as a yarn lubricant in the textile industry and as a softener for the manufacture of silk polish.
- Used in the manufacture of release agents, polishing pastes, defoamers, metal flotation agents, paint flattening agents, wax paper polishes, textile waterproofing agents, etc.
Submit your review
It is great for skin